Self esteem means the way we feel loved by ourselves and by others.
Our self image is built by our environment, where we grew up, where and how we were groomed. If you tell children they are bad, they will believe that to be true and that is probably what they will become. When I see a person with a low or high self esteem, I immediately see a reflection of their upbringing. This is not a rule as I have witnessed a lot of folks work on their self image to a point where there is no negative self image to be seen.
What causes self-esteem?
- How others see or treat us.
- How we see ourselves.
You must learn to take control of your inner voice, your inner critic, fine-tuning it to giving you a positive feedback.
Always filter the positive comments to help improve your skill.
Steps to improve your self-esteem
1. Every-day write down 3 things that makes you happy.
2. Accept compliments with a THANK YOU. Stop portraying a false humility by waving away compliments. Know the difference between flattery and a compliment.
3. Surround yourself with supportive people. You can borrow my best friends for an hour for a good head-start😉
4. Be you- don’t apologize for who you are. When you hear the phrase ‘do you’ it literally means, ‘sorry, I ain’t sorry’💁🏾♀️
5. Have an open mind. You are not an island. 🤦🏾♀️
6. Deal with your appearance. You cannot avoid improving the way you look physically if you want to tackle the topic of self-esteem.👗
7. Rule out your core values. Your core values will always be your core values. It is not an excuse to having a low self-esteem. 🙄
8. Manner of approach. If the way you approach situations and people sucks, it will make it really hard to build a positive vibe around you.
9. Know who you are. There is nothing more refreshing than being sure of who you are.🙌🏾
10. List your past success. Keeping track of what you have a achieved so far, especially writing it down goes a long way in boosting your self-esteem.👏🏾
11. Do good for others. The feeling you get when you are the reason someone else is smiling or happy is so uplifting. You won’t want to trade this feeling.👫
12. Aim for accomplishment rather than perfection. No one is perfect no matter how much filters they use on their photos. Stop trying to model your life after an unrealistic concept of living. 🤦🏾♀️
13. Accept that everyone has their own flaws and strong points.😇😈
14. Try new things. Learn a new language, try a new sport or way of dancing, drink a tortoise shell cinnamon mix(you get the idea).😹
15. Set goals. No matter how minute or insignificantly small the task might seem, set it as a goal and cross it off a list when accomplished. Feels really good.💪🏾
16. Take pride in your opinions and doctrines. Don’t let the opinions and doctrines of others make you belittle what you know or believe in. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.”
― Harvey Fierstein✊🏾
17. Make a positive contribution. If you have anything to say or do that is remotely positive, do it. 🤝
18. Exercise your way to a new body. Trust me, when your body feels good, your mind feels good.🏋🏽♀️🤸🏾♀️
19. Celebrate your qualities. Own it, work it and flaunt it.💁🏾♀️
20. Have fun. Have fun. Have fun. Have fun. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Break a smile for a minute or two.🤣💆🏾♀️
Self-esteem is as important to our well-being as legs are to a table. It is essential for physical and mental health and for happiness. – Louise Hart
Instagram itanndy for new post updates